Uncover the hidden treasures of metal detecting with two industry leaders! Let’s look at the cutting-edge Nokta Makro Legend and the versatile Minelab Equinox 800 as we delve into their pros, cons, and key features.
The Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800 are both high-quality metal detectors with unique features designed to cater to different users and detecting preferences. I do have a recommendation though. Because of the newer technology, better price and proven waterproofing, I’m suggesting the Nokta Makro Legend.
What Do I Recommend?
I’ve got experience with the Nokta Makro Simplex (a great beginner machine) the menus and user experience is much more intuitive with the Legend.
- Cheaper by around $300
- Ease to use menus with touch screen
- Proven waterproof Technology
- Comparable warranty
If you’ve read my other posts, you’ll know I’ve recommended the “NOX 800” for years. With the new Equinox 900 on the market I’m re-evaluating. Everything looks great with it but it the 900 comes at a significant price increase. ($1,100 for the base package)
Detectorist Pro Tip: Be patient and persistent. Metal detecting can be a frustrating hobby at times, but it is also very rewarding. Be patient and persistent, and you will eventually find some great treasures.
Key Features of the Nokta Makro Legend
- Released in 2021, this metal detector is fairly new to the market.
- Operates on a single frequency (15 kHz) but is designed to provide the performance of a multi-frequency detector.
- Features 5 search modes: All Metal, 2-Tone, 3-Tone, Beach, and Park.
- Includes an 11-inch waterproof Double-D search coil.
- Comes with an integrated rechargeable battery that offers up to 20 hours of use.
- Has built-in wireless audio compatibility and supports 2.4 GHz wireless headphones.
- Features a full-color, high-resolution 4.3-inch touchscreen display.
More “Legend” Resources to Review
Get the Owners Manual for The Legend 👇
Key Features of the Minelab Equinox 800
- Released in early 2018, it has been a popular choice among detectorists for a few years.
- Operates on multiple frequencies (5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, and 40 kHz) simultaneously, providing better target identification and depth.
- Offers 4 search modes: Park, Field, Beach, and Gold.
- Includes an 11-inch waterproof Double-D search coil.
- Comes with a rechargeable battery that offers up to 12 hours of use.
- Has built-in wireless audio compatibility and supports Bluetooth headphones or the included low-latency wireless module.
- Features a monochrome LCD display with a backlight.
More “Nox 800” Resources to Checkout
Get the Owners Manual for The Equinox 800 👇
Detectorist Pro Tip: Invest in a good metal detector. A good metal detector will make your detecting experience much more enjoyable. There are many different types and brands of metal detectors on the market, so do your research to find one that is right for you.
The Nokta Makro Legend operates on a single frequency but is designed to provide multi-frequency performance, while the Minelab Equinox 800 operates on multiple frequencies simultaneously.
The Legend has a touchscreen interface, whereas the Equinox 800 has a traditional button interface with an LCD screen.
The Equinox 800 is more versatile with its multiple frequency options, making it better suited for various detecting scenarios.
The battery life of the Legend is longer than the Equinox 800, offering up to 20 hours of use compared to 12 hours.
What do You Need For Beach Metal Detecting?
I’m going to provide an ESSENTIAL beach gear list. Everyone wants to enjoy beach time and dragging a pile of gear to the beach sucks.
- A great multi-frequency metal detector. Different metals react to different frequencies. Having a machine that utilizes multiple frequencies at the same time will greatly improve finding gold and coins. The Best Value is the Nokta Makro Legend check prices and reviews on Amazon with this shortcut link -> Nokta Makro Legend
- A great pinpointer, I’m an absolute believer in wireless tech. For years I would get tangled in my headphone wires. GO WIRELESS the Nokta PulseDive links to the Legend’s wireless headphones. Since it’s built for diving, it’s Heavy Duty. Short cut link to Amazon – Nokta Makro PulseDive
- Get a heavy duty sand scoop, I’ve bought the cheap plastic and metal scoops – NOT GOOD. They usually break within a day. 2+ years later I’m still hammering on my CKG Metal Detecting Sand Scoop <- Link to Amazon
The Nokta Makro Legend weighs approximately 2.9 lbs (1.3 kg) without the battery. The Minelab Equinox 800, on the other hand, weighs about 2.96 lbs (1.34 kg). The weight difference between the two detectors is minimal, with the Equinox 800 being slightly heavier by around 0.06 lbs (30 grams). Keep in mind that the overall weight may vary slightly depending on the configuration and the accessories used.
|Metal Detector||Weight (without battery)|
|Nokta Makro Legend||2.9 lbs (1.3 kg)|
|Minelab Equinox 800||2.96 lbs (1.34 kg)|
Pros and Cons
Here’s a table detailing the pros and cons of the Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800:
|Features||Nokta Makro Legend||Minelab Equinox 800|
|Frequency||Single frequency with multi-frequency performance||True multi-frequency detection|
|Search Modes||5 search modes||4 search modes|
|Display||4.3″ full-color touchscreen||Monochrome LCD display|
|Battery Life||Up to 20 hours||Up to 12 hours|
|Wireless Audio||2.4 GHz wireless headphones||Bluetooth headphones or wireless module|
|Waterproof||Unit is Fully Submersible to 3m||Only Search Coil (reported issues with display)|
|Ratings (Amazon)||4.8 ⭐||4.7 ⭐|
Here is a table comparing the two machines. Key items are the Minelab is a year longer for warranty coverage, and the Legend is covered for being waterproof.
|Feature||Minelab Equinox 800||Nokta Makro Legend|
|Warranty period||3 years from the date of purchase||2 years from the date of purchase|
|Coverage||Manufacture’s materials and workmanship||Manufacture’s materials and workmanship|
|Exclusions||Does not cover damage caused by misuse or abuse (water damage not covered)||Does not cover damage caused by misuse or abuse|
|Claim Process||Provide proof of purchase||Provide proof of purchase and concern|
|Shipping Cost||Not covered||Not covered|
More Considerations When Purchasing Either Detector
When deciding between the Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800, there are several factors to consider in addition to their features, price, and warranty:
- User experience and ergonomics: Consider the overall design, weight, and balance of each detector, as well as the ease of use and comfort during long detecting sessions.
- Accessories and aftermarket options: Check the availability of compatible search coils, headphones, and other accessories for each metal detector. Having a variety of accessories can help you tailor your detector to specific detecting environments and target types.
- Customer support and community: Research the quality of customer support provided by each manufacturer, as well as the online community surrounding each brand. A helpful and active user community can provide valuable tips, insights, and troubleshooting advice.
- Waterproofing: Assess the level of waterproofing each metal detector offers. This can be an essential factor if you plan to detect in wet environments or shallow water.
- Battery life and power options: Compare the battery life and power options for each detector. You may prefer rechargeable batteries, replaceable batteries, or an option to use both.
- Local regulations and permissions: Familiarize yourself with local laws and regulations related to metal detecting in your area, as well as the process for obtaining necessary permissions. Some metal detectors might be better suited for specific locations or situations, depending on local restrictions.
- Skill level and learning curve: Consider your current skill level and the learning curve for each metal detector. Some detectors may be more beginner-friendly, while others may require more experience to use effectively.
- Personal preferences and goals: Evaluate your detecting goals and personal preferences, such as the types of targets you are most interested in finding, the environments you plan to detect in, and any specific features that are important to you.
Take your time to thoroughly research and compare the Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800. Read user reviews, watch YouTube demonstrations, and consult with experienced detectorists to make an informed decision that best suits your needs and preferences.
Metal Detecting Tip: Check out my article on the Target ID Numbers for the Legend 👉 Target ID for the Nokta Legend
One Last Sweep and My Pick
In the competitive world of metal detecting, the Nokta Makro Legend and Minelab Equinox 800 stand out as powerful and feature-rich detectors. The Legend excels in depth and sensitivity, while the Equinox 800 shines with its Multi-IQ technology and versatility. Both offer a range of search modes, frequencies, and customization options to suit a variety of detecting needs.
When choosing between the two, consider your specific requirements and preferences. For me, depth and advanced discrimination capabilities are important making the Nokta Makro Legend is my choice.
However, if you seek a highly versatile detector for various terrains and targets, the Minelab Equinox 800 could be the better option.
Ultimately, both metal detectors are reliable and capable performers, so base your decision on the features that matter most to you and align with your treasure hunting goals. Happy detecting!
David Humphries, Writer and Creator of METAL DETECTING TIPS. After borrowing my son’s detector and finding $.25. I felt like a treasure hunter. FREE MONEY! I was seriously bitten by the metal detecting bug.
Sources and More Reading
Here are some places where you can read more about the Nokta Makro Legend and the Minelab Equinox 800:
Nokta Makro Legend:
- Nokta Makro Official Website: https://www.noktadetectors.com
- TreasureNet Forum (Nokta Makro subforum): https://www.treasurenet.com/forums/nokta-makro/
Minelab Equinox 800:
- Minelab Official Website: https://www.minelab.com
- Minelab Equinox 800 Product Page: https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-800
- DetectorProspector Forum (Minelab subforum): https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/forum/35-minelab-metal-detectors/